HM Revenue & Customs

Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)

This is a unique ten-digit reference number allocated to a company, individual or partnership, by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) when a Self Assessment or Corporation Tax record is set up.

This number can be found by contacting the HMRC office that deals with your tax returns or on the actual tax return itself.

If you are registering as a contractor it would be especially beneficial to provide this number at the point of registration.