Use software to submit your VAT Returns
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are changing the way you submit your VAT Returns.
From April 2019, VAT registered businesses with a turnover above £85,000 must use relevant third party software to submit their VAT Returns.
If you’re a sole trader or a director of a limited company you can try this new way of reporting now, instead of waiting until April 2019.
You’ll need to sign up for this new service, even if you already use software to submit your VAT Returns.
How it works
To sign up for this service, you need to use software to record your purchases and sales. If you don’t already record in this way, submit your next VAT Return on GOV.UK or by post before you sign up. This will give you more time to complete your first return using software.
- You need to choose relevant third party software. If you already use software, check with your supplier to see if you can use it with this service.
- Sign up for this service and agree to get emails instead of letters.
- Allow your software to submit VAT Returns to HMRC. You might need to sign in with your Government Gateway details.
- Use your software to record your purchases and sales, then to submit your VAT Returns. We’ll email you to let you know when to send a return.
You can also choose to:
- pay throughout the year, if it helps you manage your income
- get your accountant to send your VAT Returns
- view your VAT Return deadlines in your business tax account
To sign up you’ll need the Government Gateway details you got when you registered for VAT.
If you haven’t submitted a VAT Return online before, then you’ll also need your VAT registration certificate.Start now