Apply for Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,260 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if your income is lower than theirs. This can reduce their tax by up to £252 this tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

You can apply for the current year and also backdate your claim for 4 years if you were eligible for Marriage Allowance in those years.

Marriage Allowance automatically renews at the end of each tax year. You can cancel it, but it will not be stopped until the end of the tax year.

If your partner has died, you can still make a Marriage Allowance claim as long as the conditions are met. If this applies to you, call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.


To be eligible for Marriage Allowance:

  • you must be married or in a civil partnership
  • your income must be lower than your partner’s and less than £12,570
  • your partner’s income must be less than £50,270 in the current tax year
If you’re in Scotland, your partner must pay the starter, basic or intermediate rate, which usually means their income is between £12,571 and £43,662.

If one of you was born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for the Married Couple’s Allowance. You can still apply for Marriage Allowance but you cannot receive both allowances at the same time.

Calculate how much you could benefit

Use the calculator to see how much you could save in the current tax year. This does not form part of the application.

Before you apply

You will need your partner’s national insurance numbers

Apply now

Is this page not working properly? (opens in new tab)

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.