The way you complete Self Assessment is changing
This is a pilot to sign up for a new way for sole trader businesses (self-employed) and landlords to send income tax updates and returns to HMRC.
You will need to use compatible software to:
- keep your business records up to date
- send updates about your business records to HMRC every quarter
- file your Self Assessment tax return
This will replace filing a Self Assessment tax return and you can choose your software once you have signed up. Find software that’s compatible with Making Tax Digital for Income Tax (opens in new tab).
Before you start
To sign up to this pilot, you will need your:
- Government Gateway user ID and password
- National Insurance number
- business start dates and registered addresses
- business accounting year information