Get your National Insurance number by post
Use this application form to get a letter with your National Insurance number sent to you by post. The letter will arrive within 15 working days once we have received the required information.
What you will need
You will be asked to provide information about:
- your personal details, including your name and any other names
- your current and previous home addresses
- any benefits you have claimed, such as Universal Credit or Tax Credits
- your employment history
You may need to send a photocopy of one or two identity documents with the form, such as a passport or driving licence.
Before you start
If you have never had a National Insurance number, do not use this application form.
You will need to print this application form and post it to HMRC.Start now
Other ways to get your National Insurance number
You may find your National Insurance number on:
- your online Personal Tax Account
- your P60 End of Year Certificate (given to you by your employer)
- your payslip
- a copy of your Self Assessment tax return
You can also phone HMRC's National Insurance Registrations helpline on 0300 200 3500. If you live outside the UK the telephone number is +44 191 203 7010.
If you have never had a National Insurance number, you can Apply for a National Insurance number. You must live in the UK and have the right to work in the UK.